As per Indian tradition whenever we visit any relative or friend, we bring a box of sweets with us. And Sondesh/ Sandesh means a news or message. That’s how this popular Bengali sweet got its name.
It is made with Chenna (Indian Cottage Cheese) and sugar, sometimes using milk with sugar. Sandesh are available in many types and shapes. The most popular Sondesh are made of palm jaggery and is known as Nolen Gurer Sandesh.
The recipe of Sandesh I am going to share with you, is made by steaming home-made cottage cheese and that’s why the name is “Steamed Sandesh”. For decoration, you can use some chopped dry fruits, rose petals or saffron streaks. It is a very healthy dessert. To make it more healthy instead of sugar you can use ‘Jaggery or brown sugar in place of powdered sugar. They will also taste the same and more awesome. My family loves this sweet.
Here is the steamed sandesh recipe –
Milk – 2.5 litres
Lemon juice – 1 lemon
Water – to wash chenna.
Milk – 2 spoon to soak saffron.
Saffron – 1/4 teaspoon
Powdered sugar – 80 grams
Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Saffron – to taste
Pistachios – for garnishing
1. Heat 2.5 litres of milk in a heavy skillet, add lemon juice and stir continuously until the milk curdles completely.
2. Remove it from heat.
3. Take a bowl and place a muslin cloth on top of it.
4. Transfer the milk mixture on it.
5. Now, squeeze it tightly so all the water goes out.
6. Wash it with water to remove the smell of the lemon juice.
7. Hang the cloth for 30 minutes.
8. In a bowl, add 15 milliliters milk, 1/4 teaspoon saffron and mix it well.
9. Rest for 20 – 25 minutes.
10. Now, take out chenna from muslin cloth on a clean surface. Knead chenna once using your palm with light pressure and mix well.
11. Roll the chenna dough well.
12. Transfer this into a mixing bowl, add 80 grams powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder, soaked saffron milk and mix it well.
13. Transfer this mixture into a dish and spread it evenly.
14. Place the dish into a steamer and garnish some saffron on top of it.
15. Steam for 15 minutes.
16. Then, refrigerate for 1 hour or more if you can so it will set well.
17. Cut it into desired shapes.
18. Garnish with elaichi & pistachios.